Friday, August 12, 2016

Nota Bene: Staying Connected

August 12, 2016

I’m pleased to share that Virginia Wesleyan College alumnus Michael White ’81 will be joining our Board of Trustees. Mike is the President of Maersk Line Agency, Inc.  After graduating from Virginia Wesleyan, he studied at Harvard Business School and IMD Business School in Lausanne, Switzerland. He and his wife and children currently reside in New Jersey.

Recently I had the opportunity to visit with Martha McClees, Executive Director of Virginia Beach Vision, and Donald Crigger, Executive Vice President of CBRE, to discuss Virginia Beach Vision and the Virginia Beach Light Rail Initiative. Composed exclusively of corporate CEOs, Virginia Beach Vision is an organization dedicated to helping to shape the future of Virginia Beach and the Coastal Virginia/Hampton Roads community. It is an honor to have been selected to serve on the Board of Directors of this organization because I am deeply committed to the advancement of our region's development, prosperity and quality of life.

I’ve enjoyed several visits with members of our community lately. David Moore of SunTrust Bank stopped by Godwin Hall last week to deliver a gift to the College from the SunTrust Foundation in support of the SunTrust Foundation Computer Classroom in the Floyd E. Kellam, Jr., Social Science Lab.

Annie and I also had a very enjoyable evening visiting with Alice Clarke and Martha Jo Wilson during dinner. Alice and Martha Jo have been active members of the Virginia Wesleyan family for over four decades.  Alice’s husband, Lambuth, was president of VWC for 26 years and Martha Jo’s husband, Bill Wilson served as a vice president for many of those years.

And, Vice President of Enrollment David Wagonner  and I recently had a productive meeting with Head of School Daniel Tubbs at Norfolk Christian Schools to discuss possibilities for collaboration with Virginia Wesleyan.

Along with several other not-for-profit partners from the area, I was the guest of Hunter Applewhite, President of The Dominion Foundation, for a luncheon and briefing at Norfolk Botanical Gardens. We are grateful to Dominion for their support of the College.

Last week, I participated in a Second Nature Steering Committee meeting to discuss critical next steps and resources for the successful implementation of our climate commitment. As I have shared previously, I am one of the original signatories of the Climate Commitment and Virginia Wesleyan is a part of the Climate Leadership Network, which consists of more than 650 institutions in all 50 states and the District of Columbia working together to implement comprehensive plans in pursuit of a sustainable future.  As part of the Climate Leadership Network, we have access to the resources and capacity of schools leading on climate action across the country.  The Commitments are driven by Second Nature and overseen by a group of 25 presidents who serve on the Climate Leadership Steering Committee. I’m proud to be included in this group.

As we gear up for the fall semester, please mark your calendars for Virginia Wesleyan’s Homecoming and Family Weekend, scheduled for October 7 – 9, 2016. From our annual parade and athletic events to a theater production and tailgating, we look forward to welcoming alumni back to campus for an exciting time with our faculty, staff, friends, students and their families.

Finally, I continue to be committed to staying connected to all Virginia Wesleyan stakeholders. As many of you know, I’m active on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Flickr, and LinkedIn. In addition, I have a blog and write columns for the Huffington Post and The Virginian-Pilot. You can also connect with me via email and my president’s page is on the VWC website.  With that in mind I’m sharing an updated “Let’s Connect” card with all of you (attached). I invite you to connect with me often to share your thoughts and ideas and to follow me on social media.